Monday, April 22, 2013

Homemade Hummus

I was asked to bring hummus to a dinner party a week ago. I have never made it, but thought it looked like something fun to try. I also love restaurant hummus- the kind that is really smooth and garlicky, so I thought I would try to replicate that with my cuisinart (if you want to make really chunky hummus, you can use a potato masher to do it but I think it is much easier in a food processor). I did some research and eventually combined several recipes and added some of my own touches after tasting it. The result was absolutely delicious, and there was hardly any left! I made an incredibly large bath, but feel free to halve it if you aren't serving an army. I bought fresh pitas from a local Mediterranean restaurant, but store bought are equally as good if you put them in the oven for a couple of minutes to warm them up beforehand. Notes: I made my hummus pretty garlicky which everyone seemed to love. If you are planning on making out later in the evening, feel free to lessen the amount.


Hummus

Ingredients:
-8 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
-4 cans of chickpeas, drained with the liquid reserved
-3/4 cup tahini paste (this is Middle Eastern sesame paste that can be found in your local grocery store- ask where it is when you are there)
-salt, to taste, about 2 tbs
-2 tbs hot sauce
-1 tbs paprika
-3 tbs olive oil
-1-2 tbs lemon juice, the juice of about 1/2 a lemon

Directions:
-Put garlic in the food processor until it is very finely chopped.
-Add the chickpeas and process until those are finely chopped.
-Add the tahini paste and process until it is mixed in.
-Add liquid from the cans of chickpeas until the hummus is the consistency you would like. I added about 1 cup.
-Add the paprika, hot sauce, olive oil, salt, and lemon juice. Process until mixed in.
-Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
-Serve with pitas and assorted fresh vegetables.










No comments:

Post a Comment