Friday, April 12, 2013

Watermelon and Feta Salad

In honor of a good friend's trip to DC, a group of my friends decided to have a Greek themed dinner party. It was not at my house, but I was tasked with bringing a few items to the event. One of the sides I decided to make is something I have been wanting to try out for quite some time- a watermelon, feta, and mint salad. I love watermelon and to serve it in a savory way is not anything new in the food world, but certainly new to me. It was, of course, incredibly easy to assemble and took about 15 minutes. If there wasn't already going to be a green salad at the event, I would have probably served it on a bed of arugula which is something you might want to try if you make this at home. I am sure it would be delicious with any dressing, but I chose to make a balsamic reduction which was incredibly easy. The sweetness of the watermelon, combined with the saltiness and bite of the feta cheese and olives, and the flavors of the mint and onion all blend together to make a really refreshing, complex plate. So glad that spring is finally here!


Watermelon and Feta Salad

Ingredients:
-1/4 of a whole watermelon, or a container of cubed watermelon
-1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
-1 small container of crumbled feta cheese, about 3/4 cup
-1/4 c pitted kalamata olives, drained
-1/4 c fresh, chopped mint
-fresh cracked pepper and salt, to taste
-1/4 c balsamic reduction (Boil 1 cup of balsamic vinegar until it is reduced to 1/4 cup- super easy and tasty)

Directions:
-Slice the watermelon and arrange on a platter (the one you see in the photos is an aluminum tray since I am transporting this elsewhere)
-Slice the onion into thin, long half circle slices. Sprinkle on top of the watermelon.
-Sprinkle the container of feta or about 3/4 cup on top of the onions, followed by the olives and mint.
-Give a good sprinkling of pepper and a little bit of salt to the dish.
-Drizzle the balsamic over everything and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment